Having an antivirus or an antimalware is a necessity of today. Many people have been suffering a lot due to the lack of proper threat protections. These threats lead to losing precious data and in severe cases leak of sensitive information. The word antivirus and antimalware are mostly taken interchangeably by many people. There is a slight difference that people need to understand so that we are able to download the perfect protection program for our devices!
What is a Virus?
A virus is a generally a part of the software that replicates itself and causes harm to the computer. It may also corrupt system files. The Internet is one source of virus attacks, it can also invade through email attachments or through USBs.
What is an Antivirus?
An antivirus is a software that people download so that the desktop, PC, and any other device is safe. It is the responsibility of the antivirus to be on alert whenever there is a new download being done. The antivirus software helps in detection and later on eradication of the viruses that attack the device and keep it safe.
Features of an Antivirus:
There are a lot of advantages when you have an antivirus in your computer. Some of the features are present below:
- Antivirus have real time scanning feature. This means that every file that you download, and any attachment that you download is all under review. If there is a threat the antivirus program will inform you immediately and prevent the access to your files. The file is then not allowed to be download. Similarly if due to external device attachment a virus enters the computer, the antivirus program puts the file in quarantine.
- Some of the premium antiviruses can also remove the viruses ,Trojans and worms if the need arises.
- It has a database of viruses and malware that can allow prompt detection. The automatic updates also ensure that the database of malware and viruses are regularly updated.
- A few of the paid versions of antivirus have even the facility to remove the malware. The free and cheaper versions of antivirus do not have this feature. Remaining of the antivirus are able to find the malware but unable to remove it.
- Some antivirus also have ransomware protection, but most of them are unable to get rid of them. They quarantine the file until some action is taken against them.
- Some paid versions of antivirus might also offer, browsing protection, phishing filters and scans along with an option of system optimization.
What is a Malware?
A malware is an umbrella term that refers to all the possible threats to a computer. Viruses come under the category of malware. All the software that may possibly harm and affect the files and system details are known as malware.. The privacy of the user is also at stake due to these malicious intrusions. A virus can come under the category of malware, but a malware is not necessarily always a virus!
What is an Antimalware?
An antimalware is a software that helps protect the device from attacks from any kind of possible threats. Threats like viruses, Trojans, keyloggers, rootkits, Botnets, phishing attacks, backdoors and ransomware software. The antimalware protects the device in which it has been installed from all the possible threats.
Features of Antimalware:
Antimalware gives you a strong protection against all the possible threats, since it is an umbrella protection program hence it offers a broad spectrum threat protection some of the features of the Antimalware are:
- They can detect all kinds of stealthy software that try to make way into your computer and ensure that you have protection at all times.
- As antivirus are able to remove viruses from the computer. An antimalware can not only scan and detect the malware but are also capable of deleting them from the computer.
- Antimalware offer you online security and protect your data from being stolen. This makes online banking very safe when you have an antimalware on your system.
- Malware protect you from scams by blocking phishing websites.
- It does not let you access websites that are known for spamming, distribution of any form of malware and as well as probable backdoor viruses or worms.
What to choose antivirus or an antimalware?
Many people feel safe when they have an antivirus in their computers. They feel that antivirus can protect them from against all kinds of viruses and malwares. This is a major misconception that people have. An antivirus offers protections against all viruses due to the constantly updating databases. They can also detect malware but only a few of them are able to get rid of the malware. Majority simply put the files in quarantine alone and this results in the malware remaining inside the system. A malware always get rids of all kinds of possible fishy files, programs, and download. Antimalware, not only quarantines them but also deletes them permanently. Since they are generic, they usually are not able to identify all kinds of viruses(the most common form of attack) this is why they are excellent alone.
The best solution to this antivirus vs. malware debate is to have both of them your laptops and PCs this will ensure that there are layers of protection. This will ensure that your PC is secure from all possible virus and malware threats and you have no worries regarding data loss or data corruption!