I have written about how to share one Excel workbook with multiple users where all the users can work together simultaneously on the same workbook. Sometimes when you’re working on a shared workbook and Excel unexpectedly crashes, you open the workbook again. It works fine but the size of the file starts increasing exponentially. This problem occurs when the user does not disconnect from the shared workbook properly.
This problem occurs in Microsoft Excel 2007 or earlier versions of Excel. The fix for this is very easy. You just need to disconnect the user from the shared workbook properly. In order to disconnect the user, follow the instructions below:
- Open the shared workbook in Excel 2007.
- Click the Review tab.
- In the Changes group, click Share Workbook.
- On the Editing tab, click the name of each user whom you want to disconnect, and then click Remove User after each name.
Microsoft Office Excel 2003 and earlier versions of Excel
- On the Tools menu, click Share Workbook, and then click the Editing tab.
- In the Who has this workbook open now box, review the list of users.
- Click the name of each user whom you want to disconnect, and then click Remove User.
This problem can also be fixed automatically by using the Microsoft Fixit tool.