How to Use Reader Metro App In Windows 8 [Complete Guide]
Microsoft has introduced Reader Metro App in Windows 8 which can open PDF files as well as XPS files. Previously, users have to download Adobe Reader to read PDF files, but with the inclusion of Reader, you will not need to install any third-party software. We will highlight different features of the Reader which will make you comfortable with the new app.
To open Windows 8 Reader app, just go to Windows 8 app search (Windows Key + Q) and search for “reader”. Open the Reader app from search results.
How to Open files in Reader Metro App
Before we dive deep into the features of Reader, let us begin with the basic operation of opening a file. If you are visiting for the first time , click on the ‘Browse’. Or if you want to open any other file while you are reading any one , follow the given steps:
- Right click -> Go to ‘Open’ file.
- Browse your required document.
- Select a file and Open.
While reading any document, we tend to highlight the important lines so that we can skim through them in the future. You can highlight the text in the document following the steps below.
- Place your cursor to the beginning of line.
- Click and hold your click to highlight the line.
- Right click on the end of line to open the options list.
- Select ‘Highlight’.
Remove highlight: If you have highlighted any line by mistake and you want to remove the highlight, you can do the following:
- Right click on the highlighted text.
- Select ‘Remove highlight’.
Add Notes to PDF documents
Similarly, you can add notes to your file to rephrase the lines in your own words. The procedure of adding a note is the same as that of highlighting.
- Place your cursor and highlight the text where you want to insert the note.
- Right click to open the options list.
- Select ‘Add a Note’.
- A note will be added and a red colored symbol will be placed to show that there is a note.
Remove Notes: Right click on the red colored symbol to open options and click ‘Delete Note’.
Zoom into the document
Adobe reader has a separate navigation menu where you can specify the amount of zoom in for your document. Reader provides this option in a different way.
- Click on the ‘+’ sign on the right bottom of your file to zoom in.
- Or use ‘Ctrl + +’ to zoom in quickly.
Zoom out to see thumbnails of your document
It is natural to expect a zoom out option after playing with the zoom in.
- Click on the ‘-‘ sign on the right bottom of your file to zoom out.
- Or use ‘Ctrl + -‘ to zoom out quickly.
- If you are already out of zoom and you try to zoom out, then Reader will display thumbnail images of your opened file in a single window.
- So, now you can jump to any page randomly and start reading any specific page or topic.
Save files to SkyDrive
Skydrive is another exciting application that comes integrated with the windows 8. Sky Drive is a service that save your data on clouds. You can save any of the file directly to SkyDrive from Reader. If you want to save the current file that you are reading:
- Right click on the screen to see the options.
- Select Save.
- Give your file a suitable name.
- Select ‘Sky Drive’ as the save location.
- Sign in with your Microsoft Account and click save.
- Assuming that you have successfully logged in to your SkyDrive, click Save.
Find any Word/ Phrase in File
We often need to find any particular word or phrase in the file. Traditionally, we use ‘Ctrl + F’ to open the ‘find’ bar , however Windows 8 Reader supports this option in the following way:
- Right click on the screen to see the options at the bottom.
- Click ‘Find’.
- Type the desired word or phrase in the search bar.
- You may see that the search results will be highlighted.
Print File from the Reader App
Many people are finding difficulty to print a file using Reader. This is because it does not give any option of ‘Print’ in the bottom. You can print your files by following these simple steps:
- Go to the ‘Devices’ in the charms bar and make sure that the printer is recognized by your system.
- Press ‘Ctrl + P’. It will list the name of available printers.
- Select the printer and send the print command.
- You may print your file in the XPS format by using the Microsoft XPS Document Writer.
Reader supports three navigation modes for the document.
- One Page : Displays one page at a time.
- Two Page : Displays two pages at a time.
- Continuous: Displays one page at a time with a scroll bar.
In a two page mode, you will see a ‘Cover Page’ button in the bottom that separates the cover page from the rest of the document.
View information about file
You can see information of any file without closing it. Info option tells you about the creator of file, date and time of file creation, number of pages, size of file and the permissions that are associated with the file.
- Right click on the screen.
- Click ‘More’ in the options list -> Select Info.
How to close a file
Oh yes, it may sound stupid but I was irritated when I could not find the ‘Close’ button and I had to press the ‘windows key’ to get out of the Reader. But, closing a file is not that irritating if you know how to do it ( :-p ) .
- Right click -> Click More -> Close File
Remove files from recent history
Recently visited files are stored in the Reader history so that you may open any of them quickly.
You may want to remove the files in the recent history as the list increases.
- Select the file and click remove (find at the bottom left).
I hope this covers all the aspects of Windows Reader app. If I have missed anything, please share it in the comments below.