Windows 2008, also known as Win2k8, is the latest Server Operating System from Microsoft. Windows Server was initially codenamed as Longhorn. Enhancements and features of Win2k8 include Active directory roles, Failover Clustering, Self-healing NTFS, Hyper-V, Windows System Resource Manager and Server Manager etc.
There were some features removed from Win2k8 which were present in Windows 2003. The removed features include OSPF, NTBackup (replaced by Windows Server Backup), POP3 removed from IIS 7.0 and NNTP.
Here are the Editions of Win2k8 that have been released by Microsoft:
- Windows Server 2008 Standard (x86 and x86-64)
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise (x86 and x86-64)
- Windows Server 2008 Datacenter (x86 and x86-64)
- Windows HPC Server 2008
- Windows Web Server 2008 (x86 and x86-64)
- Windows Storage Server 2008 (x86 and x86-64)
- Windows Small Business Server 2008 (x86-64)
- Windows Essential Business Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-based Systems
- Windows Server 2008 Foundation
While the first release of Win2k8 was in 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 was released in 2009 with additional features.
Now Win2k8 can be downloaded and run for 3 months (180 days) free.
Download Win2k8 Free Trial (3020 MB)
Please note that you’ll need to register in order to download the Win2k8 ISO image. Registration is free.