Microsoft has just released a new version of Silverlight 5. The latest version becomes Silverlight 5.1.10411.0. For those who don’t know what Silverlight is, Microsoft Silverlight is a direct competitor to Adobe Flash and Adobe Air and can be used to create web graphics and animations. While Silverlight is not as popular as Flash, it is always a good idea to download and install all the tools that help us in viewing and interacting with the content produced in these technologies.
The following issues have been fixed in the latest release of Silverlight 5.1:
Fixes Security issue described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
2636927 MS12-034: Description of the security update for Microsoft Silverlight: May 8, 2012
- Fixes an issue where “Best Effort” Silverlight Digital Rights Management Output Protection levels failed on some machines.
- Fixed a failure to update OOB applications that are configured to use elevated trust when in browser.
- Fixes an issue where persistent license acquisition would fail when a customer upgrades from Silverlight 4 to Silverlight 5.
- Fixes an issue where certain character combinations can cause Silverlight application to crash.
- Fixes an Access Violation described in the following Connect issue https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/719572
- Fixes an issue where the SL5 plugin displays blank window after installing a font with a font name that starts with “&”.
- Fixes an issue where moving a focus to TextBox or RichTextBox after moving a focus to ItemsControl causes IME to be disabled.
- Fixes an issue where Silverlight would not play content which required Output Protection.
- Fixes a Silverlight DRM issue where some customers encounter hardware ID mismatch errors which can only be resolved by re-individualization.
If you want to see which version of Silverlight is installed on your computer, you can type ‘silverlight’ in Start Menu search and select Silverlight configuration utility. You can also update Silverlight from the configuration utility. Just open the ‘Updates’ tab and select “Install Updates automatically”. Otherwise you can also download the latest version of Silverlight 5.1 from the link below.
Download Silverlight 5.1 (Offline Installers)