Microsoft has silently updated Skype to Skype 5.8 which is the latest release of Skype. The update is not yet visible from the Skype auto updater. If you go to Skype –> Help –> Check for updates, Skype will tell you that you have installed the latest release. I came to know about the update through Skype blog.
There are quite a few enhancements made in 5.8 release. Let’s look at the major features of Skype 5.8:
- Full HD video-calling: If you have Logitech C920 webcam, you will now be able to call your friends and family with HD quality video streaming using Skype 5.8. Logitech C920 does all the video encoding inside camera which makes it faster to process and stream the video. You will need to have at least 2MBps Internet connection in order to run the video chat in HD video-calling mode.
- Support for Facebook audio and video-calling (beta): Facebook introduced video chat sometime ago and now you can chat (Voice and video both) with your Facebook friends right within Skype 5.8.
- Group screen sharing: This feature enables one to share the whole desktop or a specific application window with multiple users. This can be very useful for conferencing and remote meetings using Skype 5.8.
- Hide offline Facebook contacts: Another feature related to Facebook. Now you can hide your Facebook friends who are not online. This will clear up the contacts clutter from the Skype Contacts window.
- Push to Talk: This feature has been introduced before but now it’s a part of Skype 5.8. You can configure Push to Talk feature by going to Skype –> tools –> options –> advanced –> hotkeys
Some minor updates to features already present in Skype:
- Skype updater service
- Bing bar integration
You can get the latest version of Skype which is Skype 5.8 through get Skype link but it is a web installer which will download the full installer after running. You can also download the full installer of Skype 5.8 directly through the direct download link below:
Download Skype 188.8.131.52 full offline installer