As the Internet and the web grows, there are more threats to a single user than ever before. Hackers and crackers keep on inventing new ways to sneak through the security mechanism of any computer. It is always advised to have security software installed on your PC if you use the Internet frequently.
Apart from antivirus, internet security suites and firewalls, there are tools which will help you identify if the webpage is safe or not even before opening the page or clicking on the link One of the free addons that check for webpage integrity is WOT (Web of Trust). It is free and is managed by an open community.
McAfee SiteAdvisor Plus is a premium browser addon which will protect you from adware, spyware, spam, phishing, online frauds etc. by alerting you about the webpage you are opening. McAfee SiteAdvisor gives you a color coded icon on all the links on the page to let you know which links are safe and which of them may be harmful to your computer. The green icon will indicate the link is safe, yellow prompts that the link may be safe but not for every one for example, if the page contains explicit material or there are a few people who have reported the link to be harmful. The red icon will indicate that it is safe to stay away from that link because it has been identified by McAfee SiteAdvisor as harmful.
McAfee SiteAdvisor costs about $19/year but now you can get it for free using the steps below:
- Go to McAfee SiteAdvisor trial page.
- Click on the "Download now button".
- You will be taken to the registration page. If you have already registered, you will need to enter the billing information.
- Click on Continue after entering the billing information.
- You will be taken to the download page where you can download McAfee SiteAdvisor with six months free subscription.
- Please note that this offer will be valid only for those who have already subscribed to McAfee SiteAdvisor before.