There are times when you want to change your password in order to improve security. Windows 10 provides us various methods for changing the password.
Note: If you are the admin of this computer than you can change the password of every user on this PC if you know his/her current password.
By using Control Panel:
- Open control panel by searching in the search bar.
- Click on view by on the top right corner and select Large icons.
- Now from control panel select user accounts.
- From the user account, select manage other accounts.
- As you are the admin you will see alot of users (if there are any) who are using the same Operating system. Being an admin you can change the password of any other user only if you know the current password of that particular user.
- Select the user whose password you want to change.
- click on change password.
- Now enter your current password and the new password and click on change password.
By using settings:
- search settings from the start menu and open it.
- Click on accounts.
- From the left panel select sign-in options.
- under the password option,click on change.
- Now enter your current password and click next.
- In order to change the password again enter the new password and click next.
By using Command Prompt:
- Open command prompt by searching in the start menu.
- Right-click it and open it in Admin mode.
- After opening it type ” net user Administrator *” and click enter.
- You will be prompted to write the current password and press enter.
- Now press the new password and press enter.
By using local user and group settings:
- In order to access the local user and group settings, press windows key+r and run will open.
- Type lusrmgr.msc in it and press enter. It will open the settings for you.
- Now right-click the user whose password you want to remove and select set password.
- A dialogue box will open, click on proceed.
- Now type your current password and the new password. click OK.
- This will change the password. Reboot the computer to save the changes.
Now when we are changing some password in Windows 10, it encourages us to follow a password policy provided by it so that we can make our passwords more strong and authentic. So for this, you can check the password policy.
- Type secpol.msc in the run(windows Key+R) dialogue box.
- Now it will open policies. Go to account policies->password policy.
Here are some settings regarding the password that you can change or alter as you require like:
- You can create a password history and keep a record of all your old passwords.
- You can set the maximum age that determines the period of time (in days) that a password can be used before the system requires the user to change it.
- You can change the encryption method.
- You can also change the complexity which is basically a set of rules that you have to follow before you set a password like Size of password, Special characters, Length of password, etc.