The use of media files is already widespread and none of us want to have a system without a suitable sound card or the graphics card. All of us want the best audio and video players in our laptops, notebooks and personal computers. However, sometimes we make wrong choices and as a consequence we have to install different media players in our system. One plays mp3 and mpeg4 well; and the other plays YouTube videos. One is simple to use and other supports a variety of formats. And the player which provides quality service asks for some fee as well.
But, you do not need to suffer anymore, because we have sorted out some free media players for your windows 8 that would support a variety of formats. Some people are interested in listening audios and watching movies only; they can choose among the simpler SPlayer and the UM Player. And those who love customizations and messing up with options; select any from the advance media players enlisted.
SPlayer is a free and open source media player which plays most of the video and audio formats without having to install any additional codecs. It even works on Windows 8. the interface is wonderful. The careful positioning of the menu bar and the controls make the GUI of SPlayer pretty unique.
The only problem with SPlayer is that it starts in Chinese language by default. If you want to change the language to English, just right click the SPlayer GUI –> GUI –> Languages and select the language of your choice.
Some features of SPlayer:
- SPlayer is a simple audio and video player.
- It is open source software.
- It is low on system resources.
- SPlayer includes an audio and video equalizer.
- SPlayer includes a screenshot tool to capture individual frames.
- It is safe and portable software independent of any plug-ins.
- Elegant skin supplemented with three simple interfaces – minimal, compact and standard.
- SPlayer’s smart caption match automatically downloads English and Chinese subtitles.
AIF, AIFC, AIFF, ALAC, AU, SND, WAV, CDA, CSF, DRC, DSM, DSV, DSA, DSS, AC3, DTS, VOB, IFO, D2V, FLAC, FLV, FLC, FLIC, IVF, IVM, MKA, MIDI, 3GP, 3GPP, APE, MP3, M4A, M4B, AAC, MPC, OGM, OGG, RMVB, RATDVD, RA, RM, SWF, DAT, AVI, WMA, WMV
4- UMPlayer (Universal Media Player):
UMPlayer is another free and open source media player which is based on MPlayer. The GUI of UMPlayer resembles that of SMPlayer. The distinction of UMPlayer is that in addition to playing local media on the hard drive, it can also play online TV and radio. It is very light weight and uses minimal system resources. Another great feature of UMPlayer is that it can also open and play damaged media files.
Some features of UMPlayer:
- Open Source Software.
- Plays online TV and radio stations.
- Screenshot tool to capture any frame.
- Plays any type of media file as it includes over 270 codecs.
- Automatically downloads subtitles for foreign language videos.
- Built-in search feature assist you enjoy YouTube videos and stream music via Shoutcast.
- Cross Platform media player that works with Mac, OS/X, GNU/Linux and Windows.
Audio: AAC, AC3, AIFF, APE, DTS, FLA, FLAC, M4A, MKA, MP1, MP2, MP3, MP+, MPA, MPC, MPP, NSA, OGG, SHN, SPX, TAK, TTA, WAV, WMA, WV
Vídeo: 26I, 3GP, ASF, AVI, BIN, DAT, DivX, DV, EVO, FLV, ISO, JSV, M1V, M2P, M2TS, M2V, M4V, MKV, MOV, MP4, MPEG, MPG, MPV, MQV, NSV, OGM, PVA, QT, RA, RAM, RM, RMVB, TS, VCD, VFW, VOB, WMV
We have already reviewed KMPlayer with 3D mode feature. As other media players, KMPlayer can also play most audio and video formats without installing any codec packs separately. One unique feature of KMPlayer is that it lets you organize your audio and video files in the form of libraries (very similar to Windows Media Player).
Some features of KMPlayer:
- Highly customizable media player.
- Allows you to capture video.
- Choose visualizations, plug-ins and playback options.
- Supports 3D format with a stable playback through GPU support.
- Amazing management for your audio, video and image files. KMP Album artist is an example.
- A set of tools is available which help sharpen the image, apply filter or change picture properties.
- Supports the WIDI wireless technology display technology that allows you to enjoy high definition videos through a TV or a projector.
KMP is multi-format media player. It has internal Codec which plays media files of almost every type.
Caution: Please be careful when installing KMPlayer as it will install loads of useless software if you don’t un-check the options.
2- GOM Player:
GOM Player is another free alternative to Windows Media Player which can play most of the audio and video files without installing any additional codecs. One advantage of GOM Player is that if it can’t play a video or audio file, it will direct you to download and install the appropriate codec in order to play that particular file.
Some features of GOM Player:
- Elegant interface.
- Supports subtitles and manage playlists.
- Supports mouse and keyboard shortcuts.
- Supports numerous formats as it has internal codecs.
- Else, search for appropriate codec online.
Note: Recommended settings may differ between video file types
GOM, AVI, DivX, ASF, ASX, WM, WMX, WMP, WMV, WVX, MPEG, MPG, MPE, M1V, M2V, DAT, VOB, MP4, 3GP, K3G, LMP4, SKM, DMSKM, RMVB, RM, OGM, MKV, IFO, DMB, OGG, AC3, XviD, H.263
1- VLC Media Player:
VLC Media Player is the most popular free media player that serves as Windows Media Player alternative. It has a very nice and fluent interface with context based menus to make the interface clean and clear. Like UMPlayer, VLC Media Player also tries to repair and play damaged media files.
Some features of VLC Media Player:
- Most popular video player.
- Customizable toolbar and hot keys.
- Audio, video and synchronization effects.
- Capability to repair broken content.
- Supports BluRay and HD.
- Open source cross platform multimedia player.
- Advance control options like record, snapshot, playback in loops or frames.
VLC media player supports almost all audio and video formats without the need of any external codec Including MKV, WMV, MPEG, MP4, MOV, AVI, DIVX, XVID, FLV, FLAC, WAV, REAL, VOB.
Apart from these media players, if you still want to use Windows Media Player in Windows 8, you can install K-Lite Codec Pack for Windows 8 which will let you play most of the audio and video formats with Windows Media Player.
Which media player do you use? Did you find that in this list or we missed it? Don’t forget to share your favorite media player and your user experience with us.