Update: Firefox 12 final has been released. I have updated the download link to the latest one.
Firefox has opted for a quick release model which is the same model as followed by Google Chrome. Right after the release of Firefox 11, Firefox 12 beta has been released. The new Firefox 12 will come with a lot of new and improved features. I already mentioned in Firefox 11 article that the updates in Firefox 11 were mainly for the developers. Same is the case with Firefox 12 but it has got updates for everyone including the developers.
Firefox 12 makes it easier for the user to upgrade to the new version of Firefox. If you have updated Firefox in the past, you must have seen the User Access Control (UAC) dialog box asking for permission to install the new version of Firefox. In Firefox 12 and afterwards, the user will be prompted only for the first time. All the future updates will be automatically installed without bugging the user with the UAC confirmation dialog.
HTML5 war between the browsers continues with no end in sight. Firefox includes HTML5 media control enhancements which will give the user a smooth in-browser audio and video experience. With Firefox 12, the user will be able to play videos in full screen mode.
Let’s go through some of the new and improved features in Firefox 12 update:
New and improved features in Firefox 12
- Windows: Firefox is now easier to update with one less prompt (User Account Control)
- Page Source now has line numbers
- Line breaks are now supported in the title attribute
- Improvements to “Find in Page” to center search result
- URLs pasted into the download manager window are now automatically downloaded
Firefox 12 features for the developers
- The column-fill CSS property has been implemented
- Support for the text-align-last CSS property has been added
- Experimental support for ECMAScript 6 Map and Set objects has been implemented
If you want to go through all the features made available in Firefox 12 for the developers, go here.
Some unresolved issues
Since Firefox 12 is in beta at the time of this writing, there are some issues with the browser which will hopefully be solved in the final release.
- If you try to start Firefox using a locked profile, it will crash
- For some users, scrolling in the main GMail window will be slower than usual
- Some synaptic touch pads are unable to vertical scroll
- Windows: The use of Microsoft’s System Restore functionality shortly after updating Firefox may prevent future updates
Download the offline installer