File Repair is a free utility which can repair a lot of file formats that have been corrupted or damaged for various reasons. The file may get corrupted by a virus or malware or if the system is suddenly shutdown or the process is closed forcefully while the file is being written to disk, usually the file will get corrupt and will not be readable through default software.
File Repair comes to play in this situation and repairs many types of file. The supported file types include the following:
- Word documents (.doc, .docx, .docm, .rtf)
- Excel spreadsheets (.xls, .xla, .xlsx)
- Zip or RAR archives (.zip, .rar)
- videos (.avi, .mp4, .mov, .flv, .wmv, .asf, .mpg)
- JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP, PNG or RAW images (.jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .tiff, .bmp, .png)
- PDF documents (.pdf)
- Access databases (.mdb, .mde, .accdb, .accde)
- PowerPoint presentations (.ppt, .pps, .pptx)
- music (.mp3, .wav)
The list of errors that can be fixed with File Repair are as follows:
- file is not in a recognizable format
- unable to read file
- file cannot be accessed
- application cannot open the type of file represented by filename
- out of memory errors, or low system resources errors
Using File Repair utility is very easy. You only have to select the corrupted file and File Repair will start the recovery process. The recovered file will be saved in the same folder as the original corrupted file but with a different name which the original file remains untouched.
File Repair supports Windows 7 and is distributed as a freeware.