You get the following error message when trying to sign into Windows Live Messenger:
Windows Live Messenger could not sign you in because the Windows Live ID you entered does not exist or is incorect. If you have forgotten your password, click forgot your password? at the bottom of the main messenger window. Error code: 80048823
This error occurs due to wrong user credentials. To resolve this error you must use the correct username and password. If you have forgotten your password then you can follow the instructions below:
- Go to Windows Live account login
- Click Sign in with a different account
- Enter your Windows Live ID, and then click Forgot your password
- Follow the steps in the wizard to reset your password
- If you cannot remember your secret question answer or alternate e-mail address, refer to this Solution to get your password reset.
If you’re sure that you are entering the correct user credentials, most probably the user credentials would have been cached in Windows Live Messenger. You should follow the steps below to delete the messenger cache:
- Open Windows Live Messenger sign-in window
- Select your e-mail address from the E-mail address drop-down list.
- Click Forget Me, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion
- Type your e-mail address and your password
- Try to Sign-in again with your new credentials