Unlike previous versions of Windows, Windows 10 does not let you turn off Windows updates completely or permanently. This might be useful if you do not want to miss updates as the Windows updates come with a lot of bug fixes and provide extra features too. But this can too cause a problem by downloading the updates in the background and making your computer slow.
The settings related to updates in Windows 10 only provides 2 options, among which there is no option of completely turning off the updates.
But There are a few a methods that can help us completely turn off these updates:
Disable Windows Update service:
Windows services are the programs that run in the background. They control various actions and applications and double clicking them will open their properties.You can even pause, restart or stop services if you want. Some of these services are also related to the Windows update and we can simply stop it from here.
- Open the run box by pressing the Windows Key+R keys
- Now type services.
mscand press Enter.
- It will open the services for you, now find Windows update and double-click it. It will open it’s properties.
- In the startup Type, select disabled from the drop-down menu. Click apply and then OK.
- This will turn off the automatic updates.
Meter you network connection:
A metered network connection means that it will give a certain limit to your network or WI-Fi connection. By doing it will not let any background downloading occur and hence ultimately stop any windows update download in the background. So in order to do this:
- Go to the Windows Settings by typing settings in the search bar.
- Now click on Network and Internet.
- Now click on the Wi-Fi / Ethernet connection that you want to meter, now select advanced settings.
- Turn on the set as metered connection option.
- This will limit you network connection
Change Group Police Editor Settings:
Group policy controls the working environment of various user accounts on Windows operating system. It manages operating system, applications and various user settings.By using the group policy editor we can change the settings of Windows updates and control it as we want.
- In order to open
grouppolicy editor. Press windows button+ R to open run ,now type gpedit.msc and click ok.
- Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
- Now double-click on configure automatic updates
- Select Disabled from the left side of the screen and click ok.