Online cloud storage and synchronization has become a necessity and up until now, Dropbox is the easiest, the best and the most popular online storage service with instant synchronization option. With the boom in online storage and cloud computing, lot of companies are offering cloud storage solutions including Google which is offering Google Drive or Microsoft which is offering SkyDrive. Other companies include Bitdefender which is offering Safebox. All these companies offer a small amount of storage for free and if you need more storage, you’ll need to go for a paid package of the cloud storage solution. In the previous year, I have already reviewed 3 free online storage solutions which includes Dropbox, Windows Live Mesh (Now SkyDrive) and SpiderOak.
Today I want to talk about a free alternative to Dropbox or any other similar service with a distinction that it offers unlimited storage option. It is not limited to a few GBs of storage but now you can synchronize and backup Terabytes of your important data including audio and video.
Yes, I’m talking about Bitcasa, a new cloud storage service which offers unlimited storage for free. You will only need to register for an account on Bitcasa and follow the steps below in order to start using Bitcasa unlimited storage.
- Download Bitcasa client for Windows, Linux or Mac and install it on your computer. The installation process is straight forward and does not require any configuration.
- Signup for an account of Bitcasa. You can also signup with your Facebook or Twitter account.
- When you start Bitcasa client for the first time, you’ll need to login to your account that you had registered in step two.
- Bitcasa sits in your system tray. You can right click the icon and select “Show Bitcasa” in order to open the client.
- In the left hand pane, select Add and then select the folder you want to backup in the cloud.
After selecting the folder, you will get three options: Infinite Storage, Sync and Backup
Infinite storage: The folder will appear in the computer as normal folder but it will be streamed from Bitcasa cloud storage. The folder will remain virtually unlimited in size.
Sync: The folder will be synchronized between different devices and the data will also remain safe on Bitcasa servers.
Backup: The folder will be backed up regularly on Bitcasa cloud storage. The folder will also stay in the local computer as well as on the cloud storage.
- This is all. Bitcasa client will work to automatically synchronize all the selected folders according to your choice. You don’t need to do anything else.
Tip: You can also right click any folder and select the Bitcasa options in order to synchronize the folder immediately. This will save you from step 6.
I have been using Bitcasa storage for a while now and haven’t came across any issues yet. The best thing about this service is that it is offering unlimited storage absolutely free of cost. Which cloud storage services are you using right now? Will Bitcasa replace your current service? Please share your thoughts in comments below.