Windows does not give any facility to see the details of a file by default. The only option we have is to right click a file and go to Properties in order know something about the file like file size, location etc. But if we want to go advanced and want to see more details about the file, there is no way that Windows provides by default.
PeStudio is a small and portable utility which can show a lot of details about a file. It supports executable file like .exe, .dll, .cpl, ocx, .ax, .sys, etc. PeStudio can show the following information:
- All libraries that are used by an application.
- All functions that are imported by an application.
- All functions (also anonymous) that are exported by an application.
- All functions that are forwarded to other libraries.
- Obsolete Functions that are exported and imported by an application.
- Whether the Data Execution Prevention (DEP) Windows security mechanism is used.
- Whether the Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) Windows securitymechanism is used.
- Whether Structured Exception Handling – SEH Windows security mechanism is used.
- Whether some sections are compressed.