Google has finally released a new Windows 8 Metro app which provides an alternative way to search beside the traditional browser method especially for Windows 8 touch enabled devices.
Windows 8 Google Search app comes with two modes. One modes works as a traditional tool and opens a browser which points to the Google search results. And another mode which will actually display the previews of the URLs which gives you an idea of what you are opening. This works very similar to Cool Previews extension in Firefox or preview in Google search results but with a grid layout.
The later feature works quite fast and displays the previews almost instantly. The feature on which I got interested in Google search app for Windows 8 was the Voice search feature. You can use your microphone to ask Google anything and see the answer instantly.
This app also includes Google image search functionality. Upon searching, a grid of images relevant to the result will appear. You can click on the < > arrows or swipe your fingers on your touch enabled device to cycle through the images.
Here are the list of features from the developer’s site:
- Google Searchbox – Type your search right from the app home screen, so you can find the answers you need more quickly.
- Voice Search – Use your microphone to ask Google anything and see the answer instantly.
- Image Search – Watch images load into a beautiful full-screen grid. Select images you like or swipe through to see more results.
- Search Charm – By installing the Google Search app, you can easily access Google from the Search Charm.
- Instant Previews mode – Browse search results without having to visit each page.
- View Your Searches – Swipe from the top to see the sites you visited most recently, categorized by keyword.
- Google Apps page – Access all your favorite Google products from within the app with just the tap of an icon.
- Google Instant – No need to press Enter – see results instantly as you type.
You can get Google search Metro app for Windows 8 here.